The 2D Planetarium
Viewing the sky as seen from the Earth is, and will remain, the most significant presentation in any planetarium, whether with or without a star projector. The 2D planetarium of powerdome IV comprises all the classical functions in a synchronous combination of analog and digital projection:
- Starry sky with Milky Way
- All coordinate systems and lines, overlays of all 88 constellations – as pictures, line patterns or IAU outlines
- Sun, Moon, planets — classical and digital projections with zoom, phases and trails
- Didactic aids: Martian loops, the Sun’s analemma, circumpolar circle, the daily arcs of the Sun, etc.
- Telescope-style magnification of all Messier and deep-sky objects
- Atmospheric real-time effects: Clouds, rain, mist, snow, rainbow, polar lights, shooting stars